welcome Aroma

Season Opens: Memorial Day Weekend

Season Closes: Last Day of September

Welcome To

Steiner Museum

Oscoda County’s Steiner Museum is dedicated to preserve the history of Northeast Michigan pioneers as they lived during the Michigan logging era of the late 1800’s to early 1900’s. From children’s toys to logging tools - there is something for everyone to enjoy. The museum proudly displays over 5,000 artifacts! Included in this display is one of the largest log mark collections in Michigan; a logging sleigh and logging “Big Wheels” that were actually used in the area during the logging era; pieces of a printing press used in the county since the late 1800’s, and a forge dating back to the 1800’s. Other items include; antique children’s toys, doctor utensils, household items, Fairview switchboard, farming implements and equipment, and a forge from the late 1800’s. Don’t miss a stop inside the original North Fairview school house complete with the pot belly stove and original desks. The museum is one-story, 6,000 sq.ft,, and barrier free including the restrooms. We encourage all ages to come and enjoy the museum.

Hours: Saturday and Sunday
11am - 4pm.

Our History

Earl Steiner

Earl Steiner (1902-1979), the founder of the Steiner Museum.

Earl Steiner began collecting logging and pioneer artifacts from an early age. As he grew so did his collection and his enthusiasm to document the logging era. Word began to circulate about this collection which brought many visitors. So much so that local civic groups and citizens of Oscoda County provided land and a building to house the collection at it’s current location.

After Earl’s death in 1979 the museum was purchased by a local couple who lost it thru personal bankruptcy in 1992. The bright side is that Oscoda County and it’s six townships went together to and purchased the museum out of bankruptcy which kept all of the collection, the land and the building intact. A Historical Commission was developed to run the operations of the museum with seats held by representatives from each of the owner/governmental units.

The Steiner Museum Historical Commission operates the museum to this date. Many changes have been realized over the years. In 1995 the “Annex building” was built to house large artifacts. The original North Fairview school was moved on site to be reconditioned and kept for historical value. Hundreds of items have been added to the collection over the years that led to the addition of another out building in 2016 for large items and an addition to the west end of the museum in 2023 to house many smaller to medium items that had been kept in storage until such space was provided.

Museum Events



Time: 8am - 11am Museum opens with breakfast served by Steiner Museum Historical Commission and Oscoda County officials including Sheriff Grace at the grill. Come and enjoy pancakes, eggs, sausage, OJ, coffee and a good ole' country gathering. Entry is by donation.



Friday: 3:00PM – 8:00PM Saturday: 11:00AM – 4:00PM Step back in time and let the creativity of quilting take your mind. Beautiful works of art that have been handmade for generations. Each year there is over 60 quilts displayed during the Annual Quilt show. Quilts are voted on by attendees for Best of Show, First, Second & Third Prize. Demonstrations of quilting techniques are held throughout the event.



Pioneer Kids Christmas Party 2pm - 4pm. An old time Christmas Tree and Santa will be at the Museum for all the kids. Santa will hand toys to each child. Hot chocolate is served while a Christmas story is read aloud. Each child will receive a wooden ornament that we decorate onsite. Entry is by donation.

Contact Us

Museum Location

Mailing Address

PO Box 72,
Fairview, MI 48621